Friday, October 29, 2010

House Beautiful Design Event

Yesterday I was so blessed to be able to attend the House Beautiful Design Institute at the Chicago Merchandise Mart.  I didn't quite know what to expect since the agenda was rather vague, but it ended up being fantastic!  I learned so much and was really inspired.  The beginning of the day was the Keynote Speakers:  Newell Turner (Editor in Chief of House Beautiful), Judi Roaman (President of J. Roaman Inc. and blog author of "the accesorator.com"), and Darius A. Monsef IV (CEO of CHROMAom, Inc and the creator of COLOURlovers.com. 

Beyond being in awe of everything these speakers had to say I was able to attend some showroom events after that.  One being Barry Dixon, an acclaimed interior designer, who spoke about where he draws inspiration from for his designs.  I also headed over to the Holly Hunt showroom where the creative directors of Pagani Studio (lighting design at Holly Hunt) spoke about their inspiration for the lighting.  There were many other speakers as well, so it was a hugely successful event and I was so thankful to be able to attend.  I was even able to chat with some of the interior designers attending the event.  Always great to meet new people!

I would like to share with you over the next week the different ideas from all the speakers, so stay tuned! 

Today I'd like to share with you one of the speakers, Ms. Judi Roaman.  I love to hear of inspiring career women who are confident and creative and that is Judi Roaman for sure.  Roaman began her career as a buyer for Bloomingdales but eventually transitioned into the interior design world opening her own luxury home store, J. Roaman in East Hampton, NY.  She is a contributing editor at House Beautiful as well as writes a trend based design blog "the accessorator.com, " which is now on my daily viewing list!  She has such an eye for unique and beautiful things.  Here are some pictures she has taken that she shared with us yesterday. 

 Judi Roaman found this amazing light fixture created by used plastic laundry detergent bottles at a gift show in New York.  An incredibly creative way to recycle and reuse.

This art piece was created by britich designer, Stuart Haygart, at the Victoria and Albert Museum.  It is made completely out of picture frames.  It looks like the flame stitch design, which Roaman mentioned is a huge trend right now and is being seen everywhere!


Kay Douglass created this light fixture, which is made out of an old trash can.  Kay makes light fixtures out of almost anything.  Another great way to repurpose & recycle.


Here is a Missoni Pellegrino water bottle, which actually has the Missoni flame stictch on it!


This was my favorite she showed us.  It's an installation done by artist, Takashi Murakami, at Chateaux Versailles.  She called it the ultimate accessory!  :)  He has 22 pieces showcased at Versailles until December 13th.  So, if you are lucky enough, I hope you get to see them!

Judi Roaman's blog has really inspired me to really take some time and notice the art all around me and be inspired each day.  I hope to get out there more and even create some of my own. 

More on this amazing House Beautiful event soon.  For now I must be off to finish painting my brothers living room!  Happy Friday all!

I will leave you with a quote from Judi Roaman....."It all comes down to the accessories.....It's not the first thousand dollars that make the room, it's the last hundred!" 

So, good idea to keep accessorizing your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment