Monday, October 4, 2010

International Antique Fair at the Merchandise Mart

One of the best things about Chicago is there are constant design events to go and see and inspiration all around you! These past few weeks I have been lucky enough to get to a lot of them. The International Antiques Fair, held at the Merchandise Mart Oct. 1-4, was one I was able to go check out. It was a lot of fun to see design in a different world than all the modern new designs I'm often surrounded by. I hope you had the chance to see it. If not there are more to check out around or the Merchandise Mart does hold them each spring and fall. Below are just a few of the things I was able to check out there.

This room was designed by a Chicago interior designer, Nora Schneider. This was my favorite room design. She founded her own design firm in 1999 and you can see her talent. I love the interesting mixture of modern art mixed with antiques. I think that is how anyone can pull in some antiques into their own home decor. It makes the space much more interesting than to design it with all modern pieces or all antiques. Just have fun and mix it up a little. My favorite thing here is those crazy plates in the china cabinets! I love the romantic dark colors too.

I couldn't resist throwing in one picture from all the vintage jewelry they had. Boy do I wish I could own this piece! I would throw it on for every day with a loose v-neck tee and skinny jeans.


This is a giant candlestick with bittersweet vines wrapped into a ball. I loved this and it inspired me to do 2 smaller versions of this on a fireplace mantel for fall.



I, as you may have been able to tell if you read my blog, cannot resist any whimsical animal art. There were lots of them there - some as figurines, some as magazine racks, and paintings. Love these dogs and the birds below.









This table is just beautiful with the marble top and intricately carved base.







I have recently fallen in love with this kind of painting. It makes me think of living in an old english country cottage filled with paintings like these - mostly animal and nature inspired, of course.

















The antique fair had tons of lighting from table lamps to pendants.


This one was my fave!











Ok, this one was a favorite too. I'm thinking I could make something like this myself out of horse shoes.






Also tons of great seating.....



















Even if you think antiques may not be your style, it's great to be inspired and mix it up with some other pieces. Makes your place look even more interesting and actually quite modern.

No comments:

Post a Comment