Thursday, June 10, 2010

Designer Spotlight.....Dorothy Draper

Just recently I found out about the amazing designer, Dorothy Draper. A sales consultant at Waterworks told me about all these amazing designers I am ashamed to say I didn't know much about. The pictures below of Dorothy Draper's work make me want to go out and become a hotel designer! They are utterly amazing.

Dorothy Draper was the 1st person to even start such a thing as an interior design company in the US in 1923. This was also at a time when it was considered daring for a woman to start her own business. Another reason to be awed and inspired.


As you can obviously see Draper used vibrant mixes of color that were not seen before. She mixed aubergine and pink with turqoise and chartreuse.
Draper daringly used cabbage rose chintz paired with bold stripes. I love stripes painted on the wall and a mixture of patterns and textures.




She was also known for eleborate and ornate plaster designs and molding over doors, on walls, and on ceilings.






One of my favorite looks is a black and white checkered floor. I hope to have a big eat-in kitchen with that type of floor someday.





So many designers are inspired by Dorothy Draper today. Take a look at the Dream Home blog I posted before.
The foyer (last room on post) looks like it is very much influenced by her style.

No comments:

Post a Comment